Business Process Configuration
To enable business process tracking with Serverless360, you need to define the business processes, transactions and stages (milestones) in the Serverless360 portal. The configuration is leveraged by runtime components to track messages and correlate various stages and transactions together.
This document shows you the steps to create the configuration for your business process. Before we get started with configuration, let’s get familiar with some of the terminology used in Serverless360.
- Business Process - A collection of related transactions that serve a business goal for the customer(s). For example, Order to Cash is a business process that encompasses multiple business transactions.
- Business Transaction - A collection of related stages or milestones that achieve a specific activity. For example, Order, Invoice, Shipment, Payment are few business transactions in the Order to Cash process.
- Stage - A milestone within a business transaction that performs a well-defined task. For example, Receiving an order from a customer, Transforming it to a format that the supplier expects and Sending the order to the supplier system, are few milestones in the Order transaction.
- Properties - A value in the business transaction which is of specific importance in the context of the transaction. For example, OrderId, Price could be a couple of data values that business might be interested in to track in the Order stage. They can be searched for if the property is a global property.
The first step in configuring the business process is to identify the logical grouping of transactions. You may decide to keep all transactions specific to a business unit such as Finance, Supply Chain in their respective business processes or at a more granular level. Once you arrive at a strategy on how to group the transactions, you will start with defining the business process, related transactions and stages in the Serverless360 portal.
Configure Business Process
Follow below steps to create a Business Process and a Transaction:
- Go to the Business Process page in Serverless360 portal
- Click on the Add Business Process button to create a new business process.
- Enter the Business Process name and click Add Transaction to configure the transaction
- Specify the Transaction name and select the Direction to indicate the message flow direction. You may select Inbound for transactions that are received by your organization from external partners/systems and select Outbound for transactions that your orgranization is sending
- Click Add and repeat the above steps to specify one transaction at a time and configure the stages for it, before adding another transaction
- Click Save to save the changes or click Next to configure the transactions
The next step in configuring the business process is to specify the milestones that occur in a specific transaction. These milestones are specified in the form of Stages. You may add one or more Stages to each of selected transactions.
- Click the Add Stage button and provide a Stage Name and Stage executed at
Note: Currently for stages executed in a Logic App, there are no custom properties supported.
- Click Next to configure the stages information
In this step, you must provide the business values of interest as properties. You can specify as many properties to track as you need. For example:
- Message Id
- Sender Id
- Receiver Id
- Correlation Id
- Batch Id
- Message Type
If you send an XML message, you can use the Xpath as Property Source and Json Path for a Json message. If the added property is a global property then the global column shows a small tick mark to indicate that it is a global property. Stage properties are shown without them.